Trim-Wire Insert – Once the right horizontal stabilizer is installed, an electrical wire that controls the trim tab, coming through the back of the fuselage needs to be brought through the stabilizer and then out of the wire access port. I originally thought this process would be very challenging because of the tight working space; however, it was quite easy. I used some wire and pulled 3 feet of string into and back out of the stabilizer. The wire was necessary to control the movement and direction through the inside of the wing and to ultimately find the exit point. I then taped the string to the electrical wire and pulled it through.

Touch-Up Painting – During the original painting process of the tail sections, I attempted to tape up the exposed hinge connections and the pull-handle on each of the horizontal stabilizers. Like the rest of the fuselage, those items had been powder-coated in gloss black. At the time when I painted, I wasn’t 100% sure what color they would ultimately become. However, the Blue metallic against the black gloss is beautiful, so I ultimately decided to leave the gloss black items alone. When I removed the tape in those locations, I had a bit of a mess to resolve. I started by touching up any unpainted fabric with the metallic blue paint. I used a small brush and the results were very good.

Burning Drain Holes – This process always makes me nervous that I might accidentally drop the soldering iron on the fabric. So far, no problems.

Stabilizer Installation – Connecting the stabilizers to the fuselage required the cutting of the appropriate size sleeve that would slip inside the hinge tube on the fuselage. Rans provides the bulk tubing and I have to cut using a pipe cutter. The task of cutting is simple but getting the blot through the sleeve can be very difficult. After several hours, I finally used a drill with the sleeve in a vice.

Bending The Metal Tangs – Each of the metal tangs had to be bent according to the full-size drawings in the Rans build manual. The hardest one to bend is the first. Once I have that one correct, all the remaining tangs for a particular size of the stabilizer were fairly simple.

Clevis & Tie-Rod Installation – Getting the tie-rods set properly with the Clevis ends also required some time

Content Protected Using Blog Protector By: PcDrome.